Friday, January 16, 2009

Wind Chill Day??

The kids aren't having a snow day but rather a wind chill day. Just doesn't invoke the same thoughts though does it?! The actual temp was -13 (yep, that's a minus sign in front) and the wind chill was -30 when I last saw a report about an hour ago. Indianapolis Public Schools even closed and I'm told that rarely happens. It's been 14 years since it's been this cold here according to one tv weatherman though so maybe they just haven't had much reason to close that often. Same weatherman also felt the need to inform his viewers that Alaska is warmer today than we are. WHY?! Why do you feel the need to share that freezing tidbit with me???

I'm sure the builders of this house thought putting the furnace on the second floor was a good idea but I'm inclined to disagree. It's like having two entirely different climates in the house! Downstairs, where the thermostat is, is freezing but the second floor is suffocatingly stuffy. I've closed off vents up here and the blinds are shut with the curtains pulled closed over them downstairs but it doesn't seem to make much difference. It's bad when you have to dress in layers in your house so you can take off or put on as you're going up or down the stairs!

2 comments:

jeanne said...

Geeze, you move to Indianapolis and hell freezes over. Oops, can I say that? What a welcome for your first winter.

Our house is the exact same way. Freezing downstairs and roasting up. Arrghhhhh.

Michelle said...

LOL, I remember days like that from when we lived in IL. I was just hoping to not relive it!