Thursday, January 29, 2009

Got Snow?






I posted more pictures over on my facebook page but here are a few for you non-facebookers! The snow started shortly after noon on Tuesday and didn't stop until around noon on Wednesday. The amounts vary all over the metro area but 9-12 inches seem to be the range they're reporting. I went out Tuesday afternoon and shoveled thinking I'd stay ahead of it. Mark was enjoying a twice as long as normal ride home from work at that point. I'd say within three hours you couldn't even tell I had been out there! Yesterday I went out to take some pictures and then shoveled until Mark took over. Last night both of us were starting to feel the pain and the pain has remained with us today! The next snowflake I see falling from the sky gets it from a hair dryer!
When the kids went into the backyard Robbie said "An all you can eat snow buffet!" The dogs are not fans of the snow when there's this much of it. Poor Daisy can't even go outside without her belly being submerged in it! The upside of that is that today they aren't wanting to play "I want out/no, I want in/well, maybe I do want out!" Today it's more like I'm getting looks of "YOU go out there and TCB and see what it's like!"
I'm in the middle of an e-mail exchange with Robbie's teacher. Tuesday afternoon was not a good one for our young hero. Apparently the class was supposed to be working on a weather booklet and at the end of that time his teacher saw he didn't have his booklet and had drawn a page of his comic book he's making instead. She took it from him and threw it away in front of him which apparently caused some strife. I'm sure my eldest will tell you that my first question to my kids is usually "Well, what SHOULD you have done instead of x, y, z?" So yes, Robbie should have told her he couldn't find the booklet and NOT drawn pictures and he paid for that mistake yesterday during his snow day by spending almost two hours on school work. (Yep, I'm mean!) BUT....(and you knew one was coming, didn't you???)....why did it take her an hour to discover he wasn't doing his work? Why wasn't she walking around the class checking on all the students and seeing who might need some help? And today, in an e-mail, I found out he was sitting in the back of the classroom but "after Tuesday's episode" was being moved to the side/front. We've had several conferences, phone calls and e-mails with her since his ADD diagnosis. I thought we had covered that the doctors said kids with ADD should NOT be in the back of the classroom due to all the possible distractions. To our faces she agreed with that so why was he back in the back of the room??? Sometimes it feels like she sets him up to fail. We are doing everything we can at home and telling Robbie what he needs to be doing so WORK WITH US WOMAN! She likes to tell us that he's not eligible for the 504 Plan because that's designed for kids who are failing and Robbie's too smart. From my research it's unfortunately up to each school district to decide how they will interpret it but that some set forth criteria to prevent a student from getting to the failing point. He IS very smart but I see him throwing in the towel if we can't change something soon.
This week I've been reminded several times that parenting is not for wimps.

2 comments:

a chick named Toni... said...

Look at all that snow! Sheesh! And shoveling ain't for no sissy! I loved the hairdryer comment!

What is up that that teacher? I don't get putting him in the back! Is she new?

Michelle said...

She's older than I am so nope, she's definitely not new! lol