Wednesday, January 7, 2009

old dog, new tricks, not easy!

I'm trying to work on my getting healthier pledge. I watched The Biggest Loser today after dvr'ing it last night. WOW. I could so be some of those people. Especially the ones who said they've spent years saying "Tomorrow I'll do x, y and z." So today I've done my best to eat better and not snack on crappy foods and I'll have you all know that I have not had a single sip of Coke today. But I'm here to tell you "it ain't easy!" especially when I get irked and my first instinct is to shove that feeling down with some chocolate or something. Today though when I got irked I blew off some steam in my e-mail loop and did my best to "letitgoooooooooooooooo" (and that last part reads best if you ever saw the Reba episode where Van kept saying that! lol). However, right now I'd consider trading a child for some ice cream from Handel's in town!

This learning new habits is sooooooooooooo harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd....said in the sing-songy whiny voice!

5 comments:

Sarah :) said...

I feel your pain. It seems like even after I've "changed" my habits I'll drive by a Sonic and think, "Oh I'll just stop in for some tator tots!" Only to then think, "What the heck? Where did that thought come from??" It's just so hard. :^/

I was identifying with the mom/daughter team that said, "We always said we'd start a diet on Monday...then on Monday we'd say next Monday." Um, yeah. THAT'S ME!!

jeanne said...

Leaving you with one obnoxious tidbit... It only takes 21 days to form a new habit. So while the first 21 days are hard, it does get better. Now explain to me why a whiff of smoke from some woman's cigarette smelled so intoxicating the other day. It's only been 21 YEARS!!!!! since I quit.

Michelle said...

I don't know if I believe that 21 days thing though! Actually I think that's true for some things but I think there are other traits that are ingrained somehow and that 21 days doesn't quite apply!

Krissy said...

Well good job on your making it through the day!!!

The thing about food is it can become an addiction as well. Like how you said when you get mad you stuff chocolate. The difference between a food addiction and say smoking or drinking...is a smoker or drinker can go through the day and throw out all the cigs or booze to distance yourself from it. When food is your addiction, you can't just throw it all out. You still NEED food...but just not as much. That's why dieting is tougher than quitting smoking or drinking. But! I know you can do it. It's a mind change...and you're on the right path.

I really hope the BL is less dramatic this season! I'm ready for some good old fashioned inspirational life-changing weight-loss!!!

a chick named Toni... said...

Hang in there sista! You can do it. It does suck though. I sit at my desk at work and after so many hours at the computer you have this urge for chocolate. Then of coarse that friendly visitor once a month makes me this raging pig! One sleeve of Oreo's here I come!