Monday, March 2, 2009

My dental PSA for the day

If as a child, like me, you got some of those lovely silver metal fillings in your teeth and as an adult a dentist (or two) says to you "Those should be replaced someday.", believe them and do it sooner rather than later!

I spent two and half fun-filled hours in the ol' dental chair today. (And my day's not over because I have to get the boy to a doctor's appt in Indy and the girl back here for a scout thing by 5:30--I hate Mondays!) We all thought that they were going to replace three old fillings and put in one small new one thanks to a new cavity. The x-rays LIED! There was decay under two of the old fillings, the new cavity was bigger than it appeared on the x-ray and they found yet another new one hiding between teeth when they removed the old filling. I honestly lost track of how many times a needle was shot into my mouth. I've always had a high tolerance to those meds and needed "extra" anyway but because of the amount of work they were doing the meds were wearing off faster than any of us wanted them to! One of the dental techs said "I've never seen anybody get that many shots before!" Happy to be the first for you!

I'm starting to feel bruise-like sore at some of the shot sites but I'm still a numb, swollen feeling mess. They told me to not try to eat anything other than yogurt or ice cream for a few hours so I didn't hurt myself. Once I got home I thought "How difficult will it be to eat some yogurt?!" I have spent the last 35 minutes laughing at myself as I try to eat a little six ounce cup of yogurt! Literally laughing out loud at myself as I try to suck the yogurt off the spoon! Yes, I am sometimes easily amused! It's kind of sad though when you have to go look in the mirror to make sure you're clean after eating something as simple as yogurt! lol


The highlight was probably when the one dentist (it's a husband and wife team) said that having had those fillings since I was a kid they were probably close to 20 years old. I laughed and said "Yeah, we'll go with 20!" ;-) And the fun thing is I get to go back Thursday for the left side!!! So when a dentist tells you an old filling needs replaced...BELIEVE THEM!!!! Don't wait because you never know what those nasty little bacteria are doing in their little silver love hideaway!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As a person with a mouthful of silver, you're scaring me!
I hope the next visit goes better-enjoy slurping your yogurt! lol

Sarah :) said...

Hmmm...well I'm already looking forward to you dental PSA tomorrow! ;)

You really should have gotten someone to record you with that yogurt. YouTube GOLD!

Kimpossible said...

Yikes!!! Unfortunately, Im one of those silver filling people. I guess I better start talking to the Dentist too.

Thanks for the advice! Maybe next time try adding a little milk to the yogurt and use a straw, hehehe! Less mess.

Michelle said...

Sarah, I was telling the kids about it and we all agreed it would have been good for YouTube! Therefore I'm glad no one else was around to tape it! LOL

Today the kids go for cleaning and Mark goes for filling replacements (I think we're paying for the dentists' summer vacation!) but Thursday I go back again. I just now I'm in some pain this morning!